6. Sony in USA
6-1 NEWS Workstation Business in USA
When I have requested to be a president of Sony Microsystems company in USA. It was Dec 1988 requested by Masaaki Morita, Deputy President of Sony Corp. and the president of Sony USA.
Actual Transfer to USA : Feb 1989
Market Background : Launched it in Japan 1987 and also went for USA in 1987 as an Engineering workstation where the engineer is coding and developing software.
* The O/S is Barkley standard only.
* CPU is in a process of shifting from CISC to RISC chipset.
* The engineers in the USA are using workstation as a development tool with various software Mission asked by Masaaki Morita:
Is to find out where we think NEWS is better used over competitors and provide plan for the investment required within 6 months.Mission asked by Ken Iwaki (Deputy President of Sony Corp)
* Provide business plan with easy language for Sony Top Management within 6-8 months.Mission by Dr Toshi Doi
* Sell more volume whatever we find markets are.